After undergoing a complete rebuild, the beautiful and expansive new Shore Acres Recreation Center is now open, celebrating with a ribbon cutting this Saturday. The new center is a sprawling, two-story, 21,064 square foot facility that will provide tons of great programs and activities for residents of the Shore Acres community and all of St. Pete.
The newest project from the City of St. Pete and St. Petersburg Parks and Recreation will become a shiny new hub for events, activities, classes, athletics and recreation for children and adults. Just in time for summer, the facility features a sparkling six-lane pool open every day of the week.
The groundbreaking and grand reopening ceremony will take place this Saturday, July 9 at 10 a.m., although the facility is already Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. The Shore Acres Recreation Center is located at 4230 Shore Acres Boulevard NE.
Play pickleball or take a Tae Kwon Do class at the new complex
Other offerings from the new facility include:
- An indoor gym with leagues and “open gym” hours for basketball, volleyball, pickleball and more.
- Youth and adult programming including yoga, tae kwon do, dog obedience, sewing, seasonal youth camps, and before and after school child care.
- A teen room with video projector, recreational games (ping pong, billiards), video games, arcade games and tutoring room.
- A craft discovery room, two multi-purpose rooms, a catering kitchen and a conference room that the public can rent.
- An outdoor playground, a multipurpose green space and basketball hoops.
- A car park with more than 100 spaces and 18 bicycle spaces.
In addition to the activities, keep an eye out for the new interactive art installation inaugurated by the facility. Urban Conga’s tidal sculpture addresses climate change and sea level rise, as the 30-foot-wide installation lights up as you walk past each pillar, which represents the tidal patterns of the region. Find more information about the Shore Acres Recreation Center and its programming here.