ST. PETERSBURG, FL — The completely renovated Shore Acres Recreation Center in St. Petersburg will offer youth activities, fitness for all, swimming and more.
A ceremonial inauguration of the Center is planned for July. An open day will also take place.
The new 21,064 m². feet, a 2-story facility will be able to serve more residents of the Shore Acres community and all of St. Pete, according to a city press release.
“We are excited about the revitalization of the Shore Acres campus which houses the recreation center, aquatic facilities and green spaces, which will bring more intergenerational recreational and educational opportunities not only to the neighborhood, but to the community of St. Pete. said Mike Jefferis, administrator of recreation services for the city of St. Petersburg. “These amazing opportunities include additional youth activities, classes for all ages, an indoor gym and rental space, to name a few.”
The Shore Acres Recreation Center, 4230 Shore Acres Blvd. NE, St. Petersburg, closed August 2020.
The brand new facility will offer:
- A 6 lane swimming pool.
- An indoor gym with leagues and “open gym” hours for basketball, volleyball, pickleball and more.
- Youth and adult programming including yoga, tae kwon do, dog obedience, sewing, seasonal youth camps, and before and after school child care.
- A teen room with projector for movies, recreational games (ping pong and pool tables), video games, arcade games and a tutoring room.
- A craft discovery room, two multi-purpose rooms and a conference room for rent to the public.
- An outdoor playground, a multipurpose green space and basketball hoops.
A new interactive TIDAL installation will welcome visitors to the leisure center by The Urban Conga. The facility was designed using data points from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to spark a conversation about climate change and sea level rise.