Electronic floor scales
With the advent of electronic floor scales in everyday life, it has become easier to control your own body weight and maintain good shape. The household appliance works flawlessly at home.
It allows you to get reliable information about the number of kilograms within a few seconds, take readings about the state of the body – the presence of obesity or underweight, the ratio of muscle, bone and adipose tissue, and monitor the dynamics of changes.
The device of electronic floor scales
The main purpose of electronic floor scales is to weigh a person in the simplest living conditions with a load of up to 160 – 220 kg.
Electronic scales differ from mechanical scales in the way the weighing result is displayed: not on a measuring scale, but on an electronic display that has a division value. Discreteness of indications depending on models: from 100 g – more expensive, up to 500 g in cheaper ones.
The design of electronic floor scales consists of load cells, a display, an electronic printed circuit board, buttons (not in all models). Mechanical impact is minimized, which increases reliability.
Electronic models differ from mechanical ones in the principle of operation. To understand the difference, it is enough to turn them on, lift them on one palm without touching the legs, and press the platform with the other palm. The display will remain at zero.
The weighing platform remains motionless, the main work is done by the legs, under which especially strong frames are hidden. When they stand on the platform, this frame is deformed, but the changes are minor and invisible to the eye. Each frame is equipped with a small plate – the main sensor node up to 2 cm across. The touch plate is securely imprinted into the frame, filled with glue.
Three wires are connected to the plate, which provide resistance measurements at different points of the bridge. When under the weight of the frame the scales bend at the corners, the excess mass is distributed. The final reading shown on the display includes the summation of all data.
To operate the product, batteries of 1.5 V or 9 V are used. The power source can be a solar battery, an electrical outlet, energy accumulated during mechanical action on the platform. Weighing devices have automatic on / off, and the determination of the zero value occurs either when turned on, or using a special button built into the case.
The presence of electronic filling expands the scope of use.
Functions of electronic floor scales
In addition to the main purpose – measuring the body weight of a person, additional options are provided:
- Remember the dynamics of values for a period specified by the user.
- Calculate the optimal weight using the body mass index, taking into account the height, sex, age and constitution of a person. The formula is taken as the basis for the calculation: BMI = weight, kg / height, m * height, m.
- Determine the ratio of fat and muscle present in the human body. This function works on the principle of differences in the electrical resistance of muscle, fat and bone tissue when a weak discharge is passed through the electrodes installed on the platform. It should be borne in mind that the analysis of the ratio of tissues has a rather high error.
- Store data on the dynamics of indicators for several users at once.
- Show recommendations for diet and exercise when weighing.
- With regular measurement of body weight, a specific user is automatically determined.
- A significant excess of the norm in body weight is accompanied by an audible signal.
- Some models are equipped with a monitor. Duplication of measurement readings on the monitor allows people with a sore back not to bend over to read information on the display located on the platform.
- Automatic on/off.
The main advantage of electronic floor scales, which distinguishes them from mechanical devices, is the minimum error in measuring body weight. Depending on the brand of the manufacturer, cost, the permissible error varies from 0.1 to 0.5 kg.
Electronic floor scales differ from each other in the following parameters:
- Differences in technical data. Floor devices differ in technical characteristics and advanced functionality, allowing for accurate weighing.
- Differences in dimensions, design and material of manufacture. The most common product size is 0.4 m x 0.4 m. Depending on the preferences of the consumer, models are chosen in a variety of colors, designs, materials (natural wood, high-strength glass, marble, plastic, alloy steel).
The housing platform can be ribbed or roughened to prevent slippage in wet environments. The surface of the platform can be made to follow the anatomical shape of the feet, directing users where to stand to ensure correct readings.
- Place of operation. Depending on the degree of protection of the case and the material of manufacture, they are installed in rooms with different levels of humidity. For bathrooms or saunas, models with a sealed steel or plastic case are chosen.
To avoid damage to the material from an aggressive environment, a product made of natural wood should not be installed in wet places.
How to use
Proper Weighing Procedure
To obtain the correct data, follow the rules for operating the device.
- To measure body weight, stand on the platform in a vertical position, without tilting. Weighing is done without shoes, socks or tights.
- Take a stable position on both feet, without moving or shifting from foot to foot to avoid distortion in the readings.
- After showing the result on the scoreboard, carefully get off the platform.
- The shutdown will take place automatically.
- Hard and flat surface. Installation on a carpeted, sloped or curved floor causes an error of up to 10%.
- A place protected from the effects of electromagnetic radiation. Scales are located away from radio equipment and electrical appliances.
- Wet places are only suitable for scales with a waterproof housing made of materials that are resistant to harmful moisture.
- To avoid failure, check that the weighing is carried out within the allowable load. The instructions for a specific model necessarily contain information about the maximum weight.
- Avoid exposure to electromagnetic radiation that causes malfunctions. Places with close electrical and radio equipment are not suitable for installation.
- For safety reasons, products stand on the platform with dry feet, without socks or tights.
Change batteries as needed. Product care consists of wiping the surface. Cleaning is done with a damp cloth without the use of detergents. The aggressive environment of the detergent can damage the pattern, paint on the surface of the case.
Due to the simple principle of operation and uncomplicated design, damage to the balance is unlikely. Manufacturers give a guarantee of quality.
Common problems that arise during the operation of electronic floor scales include:
- Measurement inaccuracy. In this case, make sure that the device is installed on a solid, straight surface without inclination, and the measured body weight is within the allowable value. If necessary, adjust the platform.
Distortion in the readings also occurs due to the incorrect position of the body during weighing. On the platform, they lean on both feet, without moving or deviating.
- Battery failure. Batteries will need to be replaced during use.
- Failures occur when operating in inappropriate conditions: strong electromagnetic radiation, radio equipment standing nearby, increased humidity of the premises (in case of a leaky device housing). The malfunction is eliminated by restarting: turn off the device and turn it on again.
How to choose electronic floor scales
When choosing a particular model, they take into account for what purposes and under what conditions the device for measuring body weight will be used.
- Structural durability. If reliability in operation is a priority for buyers, they choose devices with a metal case. The least durable material for the manufacture of devices is plastic, it is deformed in a short time.
- Accuracy. Despite the relative accuracy of electronic weighing instruments, they check the correct operation before buying.
Accuracy is verified by comparing weighing readings on the selected model and a body weight measuring device from another manufacturer. If the own body weight is known, a control measurement is made. In case of discrepancies in the indicators, the model is changed to a serviceable device.
- Convenient operation. Sick and elderly people who find it difficult to bend down will see the measurement results without having to tilt, on the scale with an additional monitor. For visually impaired people, models with an enlarged display have been developed, on which the numbers are easy to read.
- Applicability. When choosing a device for design and additional functionality, do not forget about the correspondence of the measurement system used in this product with the accepted measurement system (pounds or kilograms, etc.)
- Quality. To take advantage of the extended range of possibilities during operation, pay attention to the dust and moisture resistance of the instrument housing. Sealed products are not exposed to the harmful effects of the external environment and are suitable for installation in places with high humidity or dust.
Such devices have the abbreviation IPX7. Floor scales with the abbreviation IPX8 are used in a room with a high dust content (gyms for sports). An indication of the degree of tightness of the housing is given in the product data sheet.
- The allowable load level is also taken into account. This indicator is important for weighing obese people or heavy objects. Cheap devices are designed for 120kg, standard load – up to 160kg. In some models, the load range increases to 220 kg.
- If body weight is monitored, choose models with sufficient memory, for storing data on the dynamics of measurements. A similar requirement for the amount of memory is presented if it is necessary to conduct constant weighing of several persons.
- Manufacturer’s warranty card. The guarantee will allow you to avoid possible unpleasant moments in the event of a breakdown of the device within the time limits established by law.
The question of buying electronic floor scales often arises among those who need to control their own body weight: when dieting, playing sports, overweight. The accuracy of the measurements made makes it easy to track the pattern of weight gain / loss.
Thanks to additional options, electronic outdoor devices will allow you to measure body weight and adjust the mode, diet and physical activity for several users at once.
Advertising from sponsors: //