2 types of rims
The main purpose of rims is to ensure safe driving. The load that falls on the wheels during operation imposes strict requirements on the strength indicators of modern disks.
Dynamics, the degree of controllability of the machine, a smooth ride depend on the mass – the second determining factor. A smaller mass of parts provides for the presence of unsprung masses, which are lighter in weight. This reduces the moment of inertia when increasing speed and braking. Helps extend the life of transmission parts, reduce fuel consumption.
Classic variant. One-piece product, the production of which uses high-strength steel. The design of the model includes a plate with a rim, connected by spot welding and covered with a layer of protective enamel or powder. The lack of spokes is compensated by round holes.
- A strong blow cannot lead to complete destruction, which guarantees the safety of the car, protection against damage to its component parts of the control, suspension. The deformed element is easily restored to its original parameters after the rolling procedure.
- The formation of chips does not lead to loss of functionality. It is restored in full by carrying out simple procedures: welding of cracks and processing of seams.
- Easy fit tires with a flat rim, which gives confidence when driving on damaged road surfaces.
- Forgings contribute to uniform wear of rubber. The slow erasure of rubber is due to the presence in the configuration of weights – balancers attached with a steel clothespin, and not with glue. This factor helps to maintain balance on the roads.
They are made by pouring light alloys into the mold: aluminum, magnesium, titanium. Cast models are represented by three varieties: cast, forged, stamped.
Each of the species has characteristic features:
- Insignificant weight of cast in comparison with steel by fifteen to twenty percent, which favorably affects the wear of the suspension, the speed of acceleration (braking), and fuel consumption.
- Prices range from cheap steel stampings to more expensive forged wheels.
- Aesthetics. Alloy wheels are more attractive in terms of design than their “brothers”: steel and forged. Improving the design of steel is possible due to caps (but they are lost). Forged are attractive in appearance, but there is no possibility of changing the shape.
Steel discs are subject to corrosion, the negative effects of rot, these factors are not terrible for aluminum.
The nuances of the operation of “casting”.
The force impact on the “casting” leads to their breakage. To extend the service life, the following rules are observed:
- Gentle, gentle ride that is not subject to endurance tests
- Relentless control while driving, avoiding dangerous sections of the road (potholes, curbs, any kind of bumps)
- Careful care. Regular washing prevents imbalance and corrosion.
- Smart selection of accessories
The first step is to study the manufacturer’s recommendations. They contain standards for rim width, overhang, number of bolt holes, bolt spacing, and central recess diameter.
Differences in cast and stamped wheels, originally mounted on a car, are practically absent. The inspected inner rim of the installed disc allows you to obtain the necessary information about the technical parameters.
To extend the service life, it is necessary to maintain their technical condition, control the correct fixing. This guarantees minimal deformation when subjected to loads. It is recommended to combine seasonal tire changes with balancing.
Regular rinsing and wiping will help prevent corrosion. Driving carefully and vigilantly will help prevent mechanical damage. The main factor of safe driving is the prudence of the driver.
Advertising from sponsors: //