Wall mounted kitchen scales
A kitchen scale is a must-have item for both the professional chef and the novice cook. For the latter, this item is even more necessary: when mastering new recipes, you need to know the right dosage of each ingredient.
Wall kitchen scales are a doubly necessary item. Its undeniable advantages over outdoor appliances are as follows:
- Space saving: no free surface is needed – with the help of special fasteners they are securely fixed on the wall.
- Saving time: they are not looked for in cabinets, they are always in sight and at hand.
- Properly selected, they will become a beautiful and stylish addition to the interior of your kitchen.
But how do you choose the right model for you? Shops offer a wide range of products. So, let’s proceed to a detailed study of the subject.
Types of wall kitchen scales
Humanity has been using mechanical scales for more than a century. The principle of operation is simple – inside the case there is a spring that reacts to the delivered load and sets the arrow on the dial in motion. Weighing limit 10 kg.
When the dial is made in the form of an electronic display, an inexperienced buyer takes the mechanical model for an electronic one. Be careful!
It is easy to check this – press the instrument panel with your hand, if it springs, it means that the mechanic is in front of you.
- Electricity independent, no batteries required.
- Easy to handle, in case of a small breakdown, you will repair them yourself.
- Larger weighing range.
- The price is lower than that of electronic analogues.
- Measurement error.
- No modern features.
- Too bulky models.
Inside the electronic models there is a built-in force sensor made of an elastic element. It reacts to the load and transmits a signal to the weight indicator.
For this action, an analog-to-digital converter is used. The readings are displayed on the display, and it reflects the exact weight of the load (up to hundredths of a gram). But the weight limit is limited to five kilograms.
- Measurement accuracy.
- Compact design.
- Additional useful features.
- Smaller weighing range.
- They depend on electricity or batteries.
- Complex mechanism, do not fix it yourself.
So, it turned out that the advantages of the mechanical model are one indicator more. For lovers of the classics and people who do not welcome and are afraid of any technical innovations, it is better to choose this type. But culinary specialists who keep up with the times should pay attention to electronic devices. In addition, with the purchase you will get a lot of useful features. What exactly?
Functions of wall-mounted kitchen scales
- Taring or tare compensation. You can determine the mass of products without taking into account the container in which they lie.
- Zeroing. Weigh the desired products one by one, adding them to the bowl. You don’t have to memorize or write anything down.
- Units. The display shows readings not only in kilograms and grams, but also in ounces and pounds. When using old or foreign recipes, a very necessary function.
- Memory. The last indicator is fixed. This is useful for forgetful housewives.
- Auto on and auto off – will help absent-minded people. The device will work in vain and will not consume excess energy.
- Determination of the volume of liquids. When cooking, dry and liquid products are used. And weight and volume are different indicators.
- Additional devices. A timer, an alarm clock, a thermometer and even a device for measuring air humidity – a hygrometer can be built into an electronic scale! Think about the savings in space and money – you won’t have to buy or install these things in the kitchen.
- Battery charge indicator. An audible signal will remind the owner of the need to replace the batteries soon.
- Built-in diet computer. You will receive complete information about the number of kilocalories, proteins, fats, carbohydrates, even cholesterol in food. For those who are on a diet or are attentive to nutrition, this is a useful thing.
- The folding panel is an additional space saving.
- Overload indicator – the device will simply refuse to weigh the load not provided for by the system, as this can lead to damage to the device.
The amount of extras is fantastic. Before buying, think about what features will be useful to you and do not overpay for the extra.
We list a number of parameters that you should pay attention to when choosing.
Scales are equipped with a special bowl for products. But it may not exist at all. If you prefer not to use extra dishes, you should choose the option without a bowl.
But if you need a model with a bowl, then another question arises – a flat or in-depth container. Sometimes both types are included. This is a practical option. After all, you will have to weigh a variety of products – fish, cereals, liquids, etc. Much more convenient when the bowl is removable. This makes it easy to clean it and use other utensils.
When choosing and buying, consider the capacity of the bowl. It can hold from 500 ml to 3 liters. Think about which one is more convenient for you.
Pay special attention to the method of fixing the bowl on the horizontal surface of the balance. Reliability and stability are the main selection criteria. It is better when the bottom of the dish is equipped with special rubber inserts that give additional stability. Or on the panel of the scales, recessed grooves are provided for fixing the bowl.
Keep this in mind when using homemade glassware and breakable dishes to weigh food. The scales are fixed at a considerable distance from the floor and sharp fragments cannot be avoided when the plate falls from them.
Manufacturing materials and design
For wall scales, design plays a huge role – after all, it is not only a weighing device, but also an interior decoration. Plastic, stainless steel, glass, wood – all these elements can be successfully and beautifully combined in modern models.
Models made of glass and metal will suit the kitchen, made in a modern high-tech style. Wooden elements and classic design lead to a traditional kitchen. And practical plastic will be preferred by neat and economical housewives. In an ethnic-style kitchen, it is good to pick up colorful and patterned appliances.
One of the latest proposals is bamboo wood constructions. Bamboo is an extremely durable material with antibacterial properties. And since kitchen scales are constantly in contact with food, the disinfecting effect will not harm them. In addition, bamboo has a pleasant, deodorizing scent.
Keep in mind that the mechanism must be completely hidden in the case, such things will last longer, since they are not adversely affected by moisture and steam that are constantly present in the kitchen.
How to install and use
Using special fasteners, the device must be securely fixed to the wall.
The suspension device is made of plastic or metal.
The latter option is more reliable and therefore preferable. If you are not a plumbing master, it is better to entrust fasteners to professionals. But, in any case, when installing, you must consider the following points:
- Mount the balance away from heat sources such as ovens, hobs and moisture, as water will damage the appliance.
- The hanging device must be firmly and securely attached to the wall, consider the material of the walls.
- Before drilling, make sure that there are no electrical wires and water pipes in the wall.
- Use a level. The height to which the mechanism will be installed must correspond to the height of the person using this device.
- Do not expose the device to shocks, moisture, dust, sudden changes in temperature.
- When cleaning, use a damp cloth. If necessary, non-aggressive detergents. Never immerse the mechanism in water. Removable bowls can be washed in running water or dishwasher.
- When finished with the scales, remove all unnecessary items from them.
- Do not exceed the maximum load specified in the instructions.
- If the device is not used for a long time, the batteries must be removed from it.
- Strong electromagnetic fields (mobile phone or microwave radiation) can affect the accuracy of the electronics.
But even if all the rules are followed, problems arise during operation.
Be aware of the warranty period for the purchased product. If the warranty time has not expired, contact the store.
Under the contract, the sellers are obliged to accept the defective goods, repair or replace it with a new one free of charge.
If the warranty period has expired and the thing is broken, contact specialized workshops or repair them yourself.
In the case of mechanical scales, this is easier to do.
Frequent breakage is damage to load-bearing parts due to excess weight. For example, the base or shoulders are deformed. In this case, you need to very carefully disassemble the entire mechanism and try to return the parts to their original form.
When the spring fails – the “heart” of the scales, it is impossible to fix it on your own, you will have to change either the spring itself or the entire measuring device.
- The display is off and will not turn on. Check nutrition. When operating the device from the mains, check if there is voltage. If the device runs on batteries, replace them. A child can do it too. If the batteries are charged and the display still does not turn on, then the cable connecting the board and the display is damaged. To replace it, contact the service center.
- Scales show an error. Perhaps the fact is that the contact ends of the device have become thinner. Replace contacts. Pieces of food, crumbs of bulk substances get inside the mechanism. Gently and thoroughly clean the inside of the device. In case of water ingress, carefully wipe all accessible places with a dry, moisture-absorbing cloth.
Managing electronic models
There are push buttons and touch controls. Models with buttons are cheaper. The touch panel looks stylish and modern, besides, it is easier to clean, dirt and grease are often clogged into the buttons, and we wipe the smooth shiny panel with a damp cloth – and cleanliness is ensured. Some models have an information display.
The latest technology is the remote control of electronic devices via a smartphone. A special mobile application has been released, it is synchronized with the scales and the latter can be controlled using a mobile phone.
All measuring instruments, both mechanical and during long-term operation, electronic begin to “lie” – to give incorrect weighing results. How to check the accuracy of the mechanism at home? In the case of mechanical scales, you will need standard weights or an object whose mass you know. A product packaged in a store is suitable. You put it on the scales and check the accuracy of the readings.
Electronic models have a special calibration function. Press the desired button and hold it for 30 seconds until the CAL sign appears on the display.
After that, the value of the weight appears, according to which calibration is performed. You need a standard with an indication of the exact mass. After a few seconds, PASS appears. Calibration completed. Remove the inscriptions and turn off the scales. If, after turning it on again, FAIL is written on the screen, then the calibration was unsuccessful, you will have to repeat this operation again.
In conclusion, we note that a balanced and thoughtful choice and further correct and accurate operation of wall-mounted kitchen scales will give you a reliable assistant in the kitchen.
Advertising from sponsors: //