A meat grinder is a kitchen appliance with a mechanical or electric drive for crushing and chopping food.
Principle of operation
The meat grinder consists of:
- housings (material – stainless steel, aluminum, cast iron, plastic);
- receiver (tray for direct laying of products);
- auger (an element that supplies products to the knife);
- four-bladed knife;
- lattice (mesh/disk).
From above, a product pre-cut into small pieces / slices is placed in the meat grinder. Getting between the turns of the screw conveyor (auger), it is transported to the knife.
On the front of the auger is a “finger” on which the knife is mounted. At the end is a shank, which is driven by a handle or an electric mechanism.
The knife, which fits snugly against the fixed grate, rotates with the auger. Due to this, the product is crushed. Passage and ejection through the holes is ensured by the supply of a new portion of the product.
Types of meat grinders
Household appliances are divided into two types:
Mechanical meat grinder operated with a handle. The device is fixed on the edge of the table. To do this, the bottom of the case is equipped with legs with rubber pads and a screw clamp.
The latter, twisting, tightly presses the legs to the tabletop, which prevents the device from moving during operation.
The handle turns the spiral shaft through which the products flow and rotates the knife. Adjacent to the grate, the blades of the knife grind the product, and it protrudes through the holes to the outside.
In an electric meat grinder the motor is located inside the case, it is actuated by a button, and there is no need for a handle. At the bottom of the case, rubberized legs are necessarily placed, which perform several functions:
- prevent slipping or displacement of the device during operation;
- suppress vibration when the engine is running.
Meat grinders of the highest class differ in productivity. Their main function is to grind meat, poultry and fish for minced meat.
The category includes multifunctional kitchen electrical appliances with an additional arsenal of grates and nozzles, graters, cutters and knives.
Household meat grinders with minimum power, without additional modes and functions.
- High: from 1500 to 3000 W, productivity on average 2 kg/1 min.
- Medium: from 800 to 1500 W, productivity on average 1.5 kg / 1 min.
- Small: from 400 to 800 W, productivity on average 0.8–1.5 kg / 1 min.
Characteristics of meat grinders
In mechanical meat grinders, this indicator depends on the force applied by a person. In electric models, the capacity indicates the average weight of the product processed in 60 seconds.
It is widely believed that performance directly depends on power, but this is not true in all cases. There are models with the same power, and at the same time their performance varies by 1.5, or even 2 times.
In other cases, low power electrical appliances have the same performance as higher power models.
In household kitchen appliances, it ranges from 400 W to 2000 W. Power is divided into nominal and maximum.
Rated – constant power at which the meat grinder operates in normal mode, but not longer than 15 minutes. After that, a long rest is required.
Maximum – the upper threshold of the meat grinder when processing small bones, veins, cartilage. A strictly defined time is used, which manufacturers must indicate in the instructions.
Most often it does not exceed 60 seconds. It is recommended to use this mode as little as possible when grinding:
- frozen meat;
- sinewy or old meat;
The vast majority of meat grinders have a power reserve. But work in emergency mode negatively affects the wear resistance of the motor.
All electric models have motor protection against overloads and overheating.
Automated power supply interrupter
Consists of two metal plates. In normal mode, they are in a closed position. If the motor overheats, then the consumption of electricity increases.
After a short time, when excess current is collected on the plates, they are disconnected. The device is de-energized, and the next switching on is possible after the motor has cooled down.
A plastic fuse that is designed for a specific heating threshold. If an object that the knife and auger cannot handle gets into the meat grinder, the motor continues to work and heats up.
When the critical temperature is reached, the fuse bursts, the engine is blocked and the device is disconnected from the mains.
Loading tray (platform/tray)
- Designed for convenient and safe feeding of products into the mouth for processing.
- In electrical appliances, in which the neck-receiver is narrow, it is completed as a separate part.
- Made from metal or plastic.
- Mounted on top.
The manual meat grinder is equipped with a wide mouth. Therefore, the use of an additional tray is not required.
A mechanical meat grinder is made of three materials:
- stainless steel (high-strength and corrosion-resistant material);
- aluminum (light weight);
- cast iron (heavy, practical, durable).
In electric meat grinders, there are 3 types of material from which the body is made:
- metal alloy;
- stainless steel.
The main application is grinding meat into a homogeneous mass for minced meat.
- shredder (vegetables/fruits);
- crushing (ice/nuts);
- making purees, sauces and juices.
Electric meat grinders come with a product pusher.
This is a necessary precaution to avoid injury, because the number of revolutions of the screw shaft in electrical appliances is at least 5 times higher than with the manual rotation of a mechanical meat grinder.
Additional equipment depends on the model.
The standard set includes:
- gratings with holes of different diameters;
- nozzles / graters for vegetables and fruits.
Additional equipment options:
- Nozzle for kebe. It is used for the manufacture of tubules intended for further stuffing with meat or vegetables.
- Nozzle for homemade sausages. A shell of the future sausage is attached to it, tied from the other side, and chopped meat is stuffed inside.
- Attachment for cutting into cubes, circles, plates, sticks or straws. These attachments include vegetable cutters, graters and shredders.
- Nozzle for cookies. With the help of such nozzles, the dough that is loaded inside comes out already ready-made. It remains only to cut the resulting sausage into portions and send it to the oven.
- Disks for stuffing. The most common and well-known grids / grids included in the kit of any meat grinder. They differ in diameter (from 3 to 9 mm) and the number of internal holes.
- Drums for a grater/shredder. Grater in the form of a hollow cylinder with different types of holes for vegetables and fruits.
- Mold for cutlets. An uncommon detail. Thanks to the mold, the minced meat is divided into equal, ready-to-cook portions.
- Nozzle for tomatoes/soft vegetables. A hollow cylinder with small holes through which the juice and pulp seep through.
- Citrus juicer. Nozzle in the form of a cap. Inside herself, she leaves the zest, seeds, peel. Only juice comes out.
These include not only nozzles, the completeness of which varies depending on the functionality of the meat grinder and its power, but also additional discs and knives.
- In the prevailing number of models of electric meat grinders, there is an automatic reverse function. It is necessary if a vein or other product that the meat grinder is not able to process has wound onto the auger.
- Reverse is also provided in mechanical meat grinders. To do this, just make a few turns with the handle in the opposite direction.
- Some models of electric meat grinders have the ability to load parts into the dishwasher. The main thing is to let them dry after washing to avoid rust.
- The main advantage of an electric meat grinder is the fact that the grinding of products in it occurs continuously, unlike a blender.
- The first batch of product is ready for use in 5-10 seconds, and not at the end of the entire procedure, as is the case with food processors.
- When comparing a meat grinder and a combine with the same functionality, the former wins in terms of power.
- To install the meat grinder, you do not need to pre-prepare the place and securely fix the device. It is enough to free up space on the table near the outlet.
- The advantages include a narrow long neck-receiver. If you remember the safety rules and use a special pusher to promote products, you won’t have to worry about nails and fingers.
A number of common inconveniences that may occur during the operation of electric meat grinders:
- It is difficult to clean the narrow opening of the feed opening of the screw shaft.
- Metal parts are capricious in maintenance. If they are not dried properly in time, rust and traces of corrosion often appear.
- Insufficient length of the electrical cord.
- High noise level during engine operation.
- The meat grinder performs the functions of a grater / shredder poorly. The cylinders are made of thin material, which leads to deformation of the nozzle.
- Reverse starts only after the meat grinder has completely stopped.
- Large dimensions.
- The auger cannot cope with the cores, they are wound, and you have to use an auto-reverse.
- Products must be cut into small cubes, otherwise they will not pass at the bottom of the neck.
- The metal parts of the meat grinder must not be washed in the dishwasher, otherwise they will change color, rust or become coated.
- Weak knife sharpening. The meat grinder copes only with meat without fat and lived.
- The screw shaft does not rotate well, as a result of which the meat in this area accumulates and gets stuck.
- Plastic gears are fragile and break easily.
- Insecure fastening of the loading tray.
- The plastic body and auger are brittle, cracks and chips quickly appear.
How to choose a meat grinder
The complete set is directly related to the price of the electric meat grinder. The more nozzles attached to it, the higher the cost. This rule will help when choosing the meat grinder, which will become an indispensable assistant in the kitchen.
Six parameters that distinguish the best electric meat grinders
Performance and Power
- The optimal solution for occasional use is to choose an electric meat grinder with a power of 800 W to 1500 W and a capacity of 1.5-2.5 kg / min.
- If you have to use the meat grinder often, you should pay attention to models with a power of 1500 W and a capacity of 2 kg / min and above.
- For large volumes and frequent use, it is preferable to choose from equipment that consumes up to 2000 W with a capacity of up to 3 kg.
- Electric meat grinders larger than this power are not suitable for home cooking, they are designed for use in catering places.
The material from which the body, auger and knives, grates, nozzles are made must be of high quality. It is important that it does not contain harmful substances. It is advisable to choose parts made of metal, not plastic.
The lower this indicator, the more pleasant and easier it is to work with a meat grinder. The highest threshold is 82 dB. The human body normally perceives noise in the range from 70 to 75 dB. Acceptable vibration indicators range from 60-70 dB.
Take into account dimensions, weight, tray for storing attachments and a compartment for the cord. It is worth paying attention to the height of the outlet.
It is necessary to think in advance what functions the appliance should have, which nozzles will have to be used constantly, and which ones can be completely abandoned.
The average is 1-2 years. But, if you follow the rules of use and safety, the meat grinder will last longer.
The material from which the loading tray is made
It is better if it is made of stainless steel, which does not contain impurities harmful to the body, and not a metal alloy or plastic.
In this case, he:
- operated longer;
- easier to clean / wash, including in the dishwasher;
- does not react with products;
- does not absorb odors;
- does not change color (does not fade);
- not deformed by temperature.
Not a primary, but necessary function in a meat grinder.
Without it, you will have to stop work every time and disassemble the device in order to remove the core or piece of bone or unwind the fibers.
The use of metal in the manufacture of meat grinders is no longer a novelty. But models of electric meat grinders with a housing and a screw shaft made of plastic are still not uncommon.
On the one hand, this is a disadvantage. Plastic parts are fragile and do not inspire consumer confidence in terms of reliability and durability.
On the other hand, this is a plus. When meeting with bone, cartilage or sinewy meat, the plastic auger will break faster than the motor overheats.
In this case, you can get by with replacing the broken part yourself and avoid expensive repairs or buying a new kitchen unit.
Mechanical meat grinder:
- Before starting work, you must make sure that the meat grinder is fixed, and all parts are installed in their places.
- The product, pre-cut into pieces or slices, is placed in the receiver.
- When pushing to the auger, it is important to remember the safety rules and protect your fingers.
- After completion of the work, the meat grinder is disassembled, the parts are washed and dried.
Electric meat grinder:
- Make sure that there are no bones in it before chopping meat or other product.
- Cut the meat for chopping into medium-sized pieces, strips or cubes, and defrost the frozen one. This will extend the life of the knives and the motor.
- Make sure your knives are sharp enough.
- Remember that the meat grinder is not designed to process foods with hard fibers.
- Use the pusher without replacing it with improvised means, and even more so with your fingers.
- At the end of work, turn off the device, disconnect it from the mains and only then disassemble it.
- Use only those parts and accessories supplied with the appliance or suitable for it.
Upon completion of work, when the meat grinder is already turned off from the network, the following rules must be followed:
- Remove product residues from the housing and from the screw shaft.
- Wash the parts with warm water and soap or a non-aggressive detergent.
- Rinse and dry. You can use paper towels to speed things up.
- Lubricate the knife, discs and nozzles with vegetable oil to prevent oxidation.
General safety rules
- Immerse the housing, wire or plug of the electrical appliance in liquid.
- Leave the meat grinder turned on unattended.
- Leave the device in operation if there are children or animals nearby.
- Place the device on or near hot surfaces, stoves, ovens.
- Carry / move the device using the mains cable.
- Handle the power cord with wet hands.
- Use the device with a damaged case, wire or plug, when the engine is unstable, after being dropped or otherwise damaged.
If a repair or complex replacement of a part is required, contact the service center.
Terms and conditions vary from manufacturer to manufacturer.
In some cases, the return period for defective goods is limited to 15 days from the date of purchase. But in most cases, the warranty lasts from 6 months to 2 years.
- purchase receipt;
- the passport;
- completed warranty card.
Return or exchange for another device is possible in the following cases:
- Not satisfied with the color, size, characteristics.
- Minor/major deficiencies identified.
- If the warranty has expired or has not been installed, but less than 2 years have passed. In this case, you will have to prove that the breakdown occurred before the purchase.
- In addition to the warranty period, do not forget about the service life, during which it is also possible to return the meat grinder, but only if the defect is significant and irreparable.
In this case, claims are made to the manufacturer or official representative.
If the defect is correctable, it must be corrected within 20 days.
In this situation, the buyer must also prove that the malfunction occurred before the device was handed over to him.
- If the meat grinder has never been used, the receipt, presentation, seals, labels have been preserved.
You can return the goods of good quality in the case of a valid warranty and with the consent of the employee of the outlet.
If an inspection or examination is carried out, the buyer has the right to be present.
When the meat grinder is not subject to exchange / return:
- If the device is listed in the catalog of non-food products of the corresponding quality, which are not subject to return / replacement.
- If the marriage occurred through the fault of the consumer due to non-compliance with the rules of operation and safety.
- Removed/changed/missing serial number.
- When replacing non-original parts or if the repair was not carried out in a service center.
- Lost warranty card/sales receipt.
Full information on the return or exchange of an electrical device is provided by the manufacturer or the company’s sales representative.
First of all, parts that are made of plastic break. If the electric meat grinder is of a well-known brand, finding spare parts is not difficult.
The screw shaft or safety gear is easy to replace yourself. But if a breakdown occurred in the motor or case, you should not rely on your own strength and knowledge, it is better to entrust the repair of the device to people who are professionally versed in this.
In the second place, the nozzles break, because they are made of fragile materials. In these cases, there are spare sets, less often it is possible to purchase a separate unit.
Parts that you can change yourself:
- loading tray;
- screw shaft;
- vegetable cutter.
Replacement of parts, in which the repair of electric meat grinders is best done in a service center:
- electrical cords;
- circuit breakers;
- oil seals;
- rubber seals;
- electronic modules.
The popular brand is part of a group of companies that belong to the German concern Robert Bosch GmbH. Under this brand, a number of kitchen appliances are produced that can satisfy even very picky customers.
Sales offices and customer service centers are located in more than 140 countries around the world. The list of goods provided on the market is distinguished by quality, loyal cost and attractive design.
The brand is owned by a Japanese commercial company. Known for high quality, performance and durability of products.
The main factories are located in Japan, which does not prevent the company from exporting goods to 120 countries of the world and serving customers at the proper level.
Of the pleasant features, the product stands out favorably:
- pricing policy;
- introduction of new technologies;
- attractive appearance.
This brand is the property of a French commercial organization, the world’s leading market leader in home appliances. The brand has long become popular among outside its homeland and has already conquered buyers in 135 countries.
The main direction of Moulinex is kitchen appliances. A distinctive feature of the product is its ease of use.
Meat grinders of this brand are distinguished by:
- variety of attractive colors.
Trade brand of the Dutch public company Royal Philips, which offers the widest range of technology products to improve the quality of people’s lives.
Philips meat grinders, with sufficient performance, are distinguished by low power consumption and price.
Trademark of an Israeli company – an international manufacturer of household appliances.
Polaris positions itself as a manufacturer of quality products for the home. But this indicator is not reflected in meat grinders. Compared to household appliances of other brands with the same power, the products of this manufacturer lose in performance.
Trademark of the Russian company Technopoisk LLC, although it is still claimed that the Redmond trademark belongs to an American company.
Due to the unreasonable secrecy of the founders / manufacturers, the reliability of the information on the official website is also in question.
The firm has repeatedly been involved in scandals about unfair competition and has been sued for copying products from other brands.
Claims against the company:
- intentionally misleading the buyer;
- breach of warranty;
- inability to quickly find and order spare parts, get help in the service center;
- overpriced products, externally and in terms of characteristics identical to other brands.
An English-Russian trademark created in Russia. Registered in the UK. Products are manufactured in China and Southeast Asia. The main office of the company is in Hong Kong.
The direction of production is small-sized household appliances and electronics.
Despite such an intricate manufacturing and distribution scheme, Scarlett-branded products:
- are popular;
- unpretentious in service;
- are inexpensive.
In addition to household appliances for the kitchen and home, the company produces appliances for cars, dishes, lighting equipment and climate control equipment.
The company’s office is located in Japan, the products are manufactured in China, the goods are mostly distributed in the markets of Russia and the former CIS.
The electrical appliances of this company are easy to operate and, with a discreet design, are quite functional and durable.
A Chinese manufacturer of household appliances and electronics with Russian roots, registered in Austria.
The brand is well known on the territory of the Russian Federation and in neighboring countries, in contrast to Europe and the West.
The company produces products of medium quality, which completely satisfies the unpretentious consumer. The advantage is the price, design and color solutions of the goods.
The trademark belongs to the Bosch group. Household electrical appliances are produced under this brand. Each type is represented by a separate line of models that differ in appearance, equipment, characteristics and functionality.
The trademark has established itself as a manufacturer of high-quality, safe, practical in operation and original in design product.
Advertising from sponsors: //