Iron water filter
Iron removal of water is an urgent problem of mankind. With an increased concentration of iron, a specific aftertaste and a yellowish tint appear, and iron bacteria develop. It is possible to purify water from iron on your own, but this is too laborious a process.
Increased iron content is the main factor that reduces water quality. The negative impact of this substance on human health and the harm caused to household appliances put forward high demands on filters.
The use of such devices is an effective way to filter harmful impurities.
How does an iron water filter work?
Household filters are compact efficient cleaning systems.
All analogues work according to the same principle, which consists in the transformation of iron through oxidation from a divalent (water-soluble) state to a trivalent state, insoluble in water.
Such a transition of a substance is carried out with the use of polymeric reagents and without them.
This difference leads to the classification of cleaners into two types:
- reagent-containing – using chlorine, manganese or ozone as an oxidizing agent;
- reagentless – oxidation occurs under the influence of oxygen, which, when dissolved, transfers iron molecules into an insoluble precipitate.
These insoluble particles then precipitate in flakes and are mechanically filtered out.
Cleaning devices operating on reagents that neutralize the hazardous effects of iron are divided into two subspecies:
- filling devices;
- aeration filters.
Filling – these are sealed containers that have the shape of a balloon. They are filled with backfill, which performs an absorbent role. For this purpose, a substrate is often used, which is an aluminosilicate sorbent that catalyzes the oxidation reaction.
The substrate is produced and requires regeneration. This process is carried out automatically or manually, depending on the filter model.
In aeration cleaners, the water is enriched with oxygen and the iron contained in it is oxidized. Such units perform functions under the pressure of a liquid or without it. The difference is that with a non-pressure version, water enters the tank through nozzles that spray the outgoing stream.
Aeration is carried out under pressure, which is pumped by an automatic compressor. The oxidized harmful impurity is removed by a mechanical strainer. Aeration devices qualitatively deferrize the liquid.
This technology guarantees maximum cleaning and is unsurpassed so far. For a home stand-alone installation, a compact pressure aeration option is acceptable.
Models of water purifiers with high technical and technological characteristics are economical.
Iron water filter device
There are a large number of filter models on the market to get rid of excess metals.
Designs and filling substances in the form of special granules are designed to remove iron by methods that are harmless to human health and the environment.
The choice of modification depends on the requirements for the quality of the device and on the financial capabilities of the consumer.
Gradation into classes of household water purifiers:
- jug type – the principle of operation consists in the flow of liquid from container to container through a replaceable filter cartridge;
- “near the sink” type installations – the filter is located next to the sink and is connected to the faucet using a flexible hose;
- stationary filters – built into the plumbing system, a separate tap for the purified liquid is placed on the sink.
Stationary devices distinguish between flow and reverse osmosis:
- Flow-through – after several stages of purification, the iron impurity is removed mechanically.
- With reverse osmosis – they have a semi-permeable thin membrane that allows only water molecules to pass through, and the rest is discharged into the sewer outlet.
Equipment for water purification from iron removes other harmful and dangerous substances.
Filters are divided into the following groups according to the degree of filtration:
- rough – a mechanical cleaning apparatus that retains all suspensions is installed in the water distribution pipes. Has an auxiliary character, eliminates rust, sand and heavy metals;
- fine – removes heavy metal oxide, salt crystals, chlorine dissolved in liquid, unwanted ions;
- biological – goes in addition to fine filtration devices, eliminates harmful bacteria.
To soften water and remove nitrates, sulfates, magnesium, an auxiliary ionic purifier is installed. They work on the principle of replacing unwanted ions with neutral ions.
Adsorption models are a cheap variation of purification. Activated carbon cartridges securely hold unwanted chemicals.
Sometimes cleaning systems are equipped with an ultraviolet lamp that kills germs. The unit sterilizes and disinfects the liquid.
Iodine, silver ions, ozone treatment have a sterilizing effect. To prevent dead microorganisms from getting into the water, a carbon layer is placed after the filter.
Additionally, household filters are equipped with a mineralizer that fills the water with useful microelements.
Each consumer, based on the requirements for the quality of the cleaning system, can independently choose a set of filter elements suitable for him.
Advantages and disadvantages
The range of household cleaners is presented in a wide price range. Pitcher-type appliances have a democratic cost. Filters installed near the sink are classified as inexpensive devices.
Comparative analysis of modifications:
- Pitcher type – simplicity and ease of use, do not require connection to the water supply. The disadvantages are low efficiency, a small resource of the filter cartridge, a small volume of liquid purified at a time. Perfect for office, country house, rented apartment.
- Installations next to the sink – for shallow filtration. Advantages – mobility, no need for a separate container for purified liquid. The disadvantages include a small resource, low efficiency, the need to connect and disconnect after work. Good choice for one person. A family of several people is better off opting for stationary devices.
- Flow-through installations are acceptable in conditions with low iron concentrations.
- Reverse osmosis filters – purify the liquid by 99%, it turns out absolutely pure water without smell and taste. The cost of such models is high, but this is fully justified by the quality of cleaning. Relatively low productivity does not allow water purification for technical needs.
A reverse osmosis membrane filter is considered to be universal for drinking water purification.
Before buying a filter, it is advisable to conduct a chemical analysis of the consumed liquid in a specialized laboratory. Find out the exact concentration of unwanted impurities so that the purchased filter is not powerless in front of the chemical composition of the liquid.
Such an analysis will help in choosing the right water treatment device and eliminate the risk of breakdowns or premature failure due to constant overloads.
Next, the consumer needs to decide on the brand. This will help customer reviews on the websites of product manufacturers or online stores, consultations of sales consultants. The purchase is recommended to be made in specialized outlets.
How to use an iron water filter
For the most productive development of the backfill resource, the following recommendations should be followed:
- observe the temperature regime regulated by the manufacturer in the instruction manual;
- regularly carry out activities for the regeneration of the substrate;
- the pressure in the plumbing system must be under pressure from three atmospheres.
The performance of the water treatment system will be higher if:
- wash regularly;
- source liquid of good quality;
- precautions have been taken.
The frequency of flushing the membrane depends on the degree of contamination of the source liquid. This period is about 10 days.
All filters should be changed on time. Depending on the manufacturer, the filter life is from a quarter to a year.
If the source water is too contaminated, the filter is dipped once a week in a weak warm solution of citric acid for 8-10 hours.
Poor quality of the original liquid, it is desirable to pre-purify by settling. Oxidized, iron-containing chemical elements are deposited on the walls of the container.
During the entire service life, the filtration quality does not deteriorate until the resource is completely depleted. Products retain their declared properties after the end of the warranty period.
Before a long break in operation, the product is washed, dried and stored in a clean place without exposure to direct sunlight and heat fluxes.
The filter jug is washed, the exhausted cartridge is changed, the filter element is kept immersed in the liquid.
Before use, check the expiration date of bulk chemicals. During operation, chemical elements that have not passed through the pores of the membrane accumulate on the filter surface. This layer hinders the work of the cleaner and prevents the free passage of water.
Remove the protective devices and wash the membrane under a gentle stream of water with a sponge. Do this carefully, because the membrane is a thin film. Careless behavior will disable the device.
To avoid deformation of the membrane, do not:
- disassemble the filter element;
- blow through a fitting or hose;
- wipe with a hard cloth;
- connect the pipe to the water supply.
It is undesirable to allow the filters to dry out, they must pass the required amount of liquid, regulated by the technical passport of the product. Otherwise, they lose their original qualities.
Water treatment equipment must not be allowed to freeze, this will render it unusable. Storage and transportation are allowed at positive temperatures.
Careful handling of the water purifier guarantees its longevity.
The better the water treatment device works, the more complex the design and the technological process.
Possible malfunctions of reverse osmosis equipment and solutions are presented below.
Slowly draws water:
- the degree of contamination of the cartridges is checked visually – in appearance;
- the service life is checked;
- indicators of pressure values at the inlet in front of the membrane are checked;
- at a constantly low pressure, a pump is installed;
- at constant high pressure, the apparatus is equipped with a pressure reducer.
If the unit drains purified water into the sewer, check:
- four-way valve – it must stop the water supply when the tap on the storage tank is closed, with further supply it is replaced;
- non-return valve – the discharge of water into the drainage should stop when the container for the purified liquid is filled;
- pressure – at the outlet in front of the membrane.
Bad taste, specific taste of water are caused by:
- stagnant water – drain two or three glasses of water, or install a mineralizer;
- missed deadline for replacing the post-carbon cartridge;
- incomplete use of the resource of the hydraulic accumulator;
- lack of water renewal in the tank.
The low pressure from the tap is increased by the following measures:
- adjust the operation of the tank;
- adjust the pressure – it should not fall when an additional tap is opened.
Proper operation is affected by the amount and temperature of the incoming stream. A stable dynamic pressure in the cleaning installation will help create a circulation pump.
Advertising from sponsors: //