Chopping boards are used for cutting and serving food, as coasters for hot dishes. When choosing a model, pay attention to the shape, size and material.
Types of cutting boards
According to the material, the following types of boards are distinguished:
Wooden boards are used for cutting meat and fish, vegetables and fruits. Such surfaces do not allow products to slide, so they will protect against possible cuts. In addition, the tree does not dull kitchen knives and does not make unpleasant sounds when cutting food.
- Oak – strong and solid, not deformed, protected from moisture, resistant to mechanical damage, do not absorb odors. There are solid models and glued from oak fragments. The disadvantages of solid oak products are the high price and weightiness.
- Acacia – made of hard wood, resistant to knife scratches, odors and moisture, durable.
- From hevea (rubber tree) – solid and durable products that are used for cutting meat and fish. Hevea is moisture resistant, does not give in to deformations and practically does not absorb foreign odors.
- Birch and pine are soft wood species, these materials are susceptible to mechanical damage quite quickly, they strongly absorb food odors and deform under the influence of moisture.
- From bamboo – hard surfaces, resistant to scratches and abrasion, absorb a minimum of odors, moisture resistant. The downside is that formaldehyde glue is used to glue parts of the board.
Plastic cutting boards are usually cheaper than wooden ones and are easy to use and maintain. The disadvantage of products is their environmental insecurity. Polyethylene and propylene are considered the most harmless to health.
These materials are elastic, resistant to wear and abrasion, and chemically resistant. Plastic crumbles under the influence of a knife, due to which toxic substances can enter food.
Glass cutting boards are made of hygienic materials, easy to clean and maintain, and do not wear out. Glass products are strong but heavy.
The downside is that such surfaces make unpleasant sounds when cutting food and quickly dull the knives. The material is brittle and may break. To prevent the board from sticking to the table, rubber pads are used.
- size (thickness, length);
- material (wood, glass, plastic);
- shape (rectangular, rounded);
- color (light, dark brown, red, blue);
- design (carving, painting, burning).
- used for cutting products;
- ready-made dishes are served on them, they act as an element of serving the dining table;
- act as a stand for hot pans in which the dish is served;
- used as decorative accessories (drawings, carvings, burning elements).
- kitchen knives;
- ceramic or glass containers for cutting products.
Features of wooden boards:
- provide high-quality cutting of products;
- knives do not get dull;
- products do not slip when cutting;
- practical and easy to use;
- require careful care;
- weighty products;
- quickly absorb odors;
- do not wear out;
- deteriorate from exposure to moisture and high temperatures.
Features of glass boards:
- made of hygienic material;
- easy to clean and maintain;
- do not wear out;
- surfaces make unpleasant sounds when cutting products;
- they can beat.
Features of plastic boards:
- many shapes and color options of products are available;
- ease of care;
- elastic and wear-resistant;
- release toxic substances;
- environmental insecurity.
Advantages of wooden boards:
- such surfaces do not blunt knives;
- products do not slip;
- comfortable and practical;
- interesting designs.
Advantages of glass models:
Advantages of plastic products:
- light in weight;
- easy to care for;
Cons of wooden products:
- unhygienic material;
- quickly absorb odors;
- deform over time, become concave;
- require careful care;
- spoiled by detergents.
Disadvantages of glass models:
- unpleasant sounds when cutting products;
- beat easily.
Cons of plastic boards:
- do not like high temperatures;
- environmental insecurity;
- release of toxic substances.
How to choose a cutting board
- Choose the size of the product depending on the intended use. A small board is suitable for cutting bread; for cutting meat, use models measuring 20 by 40 cm.
- For rolling out the dough, prefer wide products (according to the size of the table).
The board for greens should be wide so that chopped pieces of onion and vegetables do not scatter on the desktop, the same requirements for products on which meat and fish are cut.
- Consider the shape of the product: rectangular, rounded, with and without edges. Choose the one with which it will be more convenient to work.
- Wooden materials are the traditional option for making cutting boards. Glass products are considered more hygienic, they wash well in the dishwasher and do not wear out.
Plastic cutting boards combine all the necessary characteristics.
- Pay attention to product design. A cutting board can be a great kitchen accessory. Models painted with patterns and ornaments are popular.
Proper care of cutting boards extends their life and ensures food hygiene.
Recommendations for use and care:
- To prevent the cutting board from becoming a source of bacteria, careful care is required. Plastic, plywood and glass models should be washed in hot soapy water, then thoroughly wiped dry, then dried.
To disinfect wood products, you should regularly scrape them with a knife and scald them with boiling water. After two months, it is better to change the product to a new one.
Such boards are not recommended to be cleaned in the dishwasher, as they swell from excess moisture. Keep them away from high temperatures, do not store them near the stove, as this will cause the material to crack.
- Use food grade vinegar to disinfect surfaces; Odors are well removed with lemon, salt and baking soda. Soak the product, sprinkle it with salt and leave for a few minutes.
Thus, you will get rid of foreign odors. The disinfection procedure is recommended to be carried out once a week.
- Do not store boards in the dish dryer, the best place is kitchen shelves with cells away from moisture and the stove. It is important that the products do not come into contact with each other, the water accumulated under them will lead to the formation of mold.
- Immediately after purchase, clean the wooden surface of the board with sandpaper and thoroughly coat it with edible mineral or linseed oil, leave for three hours. This will protect the wood from bacteria and moisture.
- Plastic products are not suitable for cutting hot food, they emit elements harmful to health: phenol and formaldehyde, which are absorbed into the food.
- The kitchen should have at least two cutting boards: one for foods that are eaten raw, the second for cutting meat and fish.
The bacteria found in meat are removed after the product is treated with warm water, but if you cut sausage or bread on it, you can catch an infection.
You can update plastic products in this way:
- Fill a bowl or sink with water and add bleach in a ratio of 1 tbsp. l. per liter of water. Leave the product in water for 15 minutes.
- Prepare a paste of soda and lemon juice, apply it on the board and leave for half an hour.
- Then rinse the paste under running water and wash the product in soapy water, let it dry.
- If the board is warped, warm it up in hot water and place it under a heavy stack of books to straighten it out.
To restore wooden cutting boards:
- Sand the board with fine sand in a circular motion, this is necessary to remove deep grooves on the surfaces.
- Wash the product with warm soapy water and rinse thoroughly.
- Apply steamed vegetable oil to the surface of the wood. The substance must be well absorbed into the wood and protect the material from the penetration of microbes.
- To get rid of odors, mix 1 tbsp. l. water and 3 tbsp. l. vinegar, wipe the product with a solution and dry with a towel.
Cutting board manufacturers
The brand’s products are inexpensive premium forged stainless steel knives with the addition of tungsten and molybdenum, accessories for sharpening and storing kitchen knives.
Goods are affordable, with an interesting design, they are well-packed for 4-6 people (16, 24 items).
- wear resistance,
- resistance to corrosion.
The Pascal and Granite series with a matt finish fit perfectly into modern kitchen interiors. A series of Rocwell products has a classic chrome finish.
The German company is focused on the manufacture of kitchen utensils for the European and American market. Products combine functionality, durability, wear resistance, easy to use and maintain.
- high strength steel,
Knives differ in a variety of shapes, are produced using hot stamping and subsequent turning. The handles of the models are designed as follows: a protective composition, modern plastic and stainless steel are applied to the tree.
Known product series:
- Chiefs Essential are zinc-in-steel hardened models with an all-metal handle. The collection includes knives: cutting, boning, scissors and musat.
- Microban – models designed for cutting products, Japanese stainless steel and plastic are used as materials, such knives guarantee excellent protection against microbes.
There is no official Russian site.
One of the leading manufacturers of quality tableware and kitchen accessories since 1997. It is successful in the European and Asian markets.
The company develops and creates comfortable and practical products, distinguished by a strict style. The range of more than 3 thousand items for the kitchen:
- sets of dishes;
- frying pans, saucepans;
- dishes for tea and coffee;
- steamers, multicookers.
The brand’s cookware is easy to use and does not require careful maintenance. The company focuses on the average price range. Goods are certified and standardized.
For the manufacture of goods, several tree species with high strength and resistance are used. Preference is given to bamboo, products from which are distinguished by practicality, reliability, durability, and pleasant colors.
Hevea and rubber are also used.
The range includes cutting boards, spatulas, coasters for hot dishes, salt and pepper shakers. Brand products are not subject to deformation, are easily cleaned of dirt and do not absorb foreign odors.
Acceptable value for money goods. There is no official Russian site.
The brand specializes in modern kitchen utensils, the products are represented by many innovative products.
- Sieves and colanders. Products are thermally stable, so you can work with hot food.
- Cutting boards, coasters.
For the manufacture of tempered glass is used, this material is resistant to elevated temperatures. Products provide convenience in operation, thanks to rubber legs products do not slip off when cutting.
- Food containers and kitchen accessories. There are salt and pepper shakers, vinegar and oil containers, trays and original double dishes.
Products are certified and standardized.
The German company is engaged in the production of kitchen goods and utensils:
- cutting boards,
- pepper grinder
- bread box,
- towel rack,
- spice sets,
- wicker baskets,
Products are made of high-quality and environmentally friendly materials: beech, bamboo, willow, rubber, glass and glass ceramics. The design of kitchen utensils is elegant and simple, in line with the decor of modern kitchens. There is no official Russian site.
The Czech company offers a wide range of kitchen products, implements new ideas at affordable prices.
A 3-year warranty service has been established for standard products, 5 years for products that are in demand among consumers, 10 years for prestigious models.
Products are made in accordance with modern quality standards, strictly certified.
Products include glass lids, cutting boards, copper coffee makers, paper towel holders, kitchen utensils.
Made from impact-resistant, wear-resistant materials. Goods are certified and marked according to the required standards.
The factory produces different types of knives: universal, professional with antibacterial protection, sports and folding.
The brand’s products are represented by kitchen furniture, cutlery, pots, molds, cooking accessories, scissors, non-stick pans, dishes.
Advertising from sponsors: //