Slings and kangaroos
Carrying bags are available in the form of slings, backpacks, kangaroo backpacks and are designed to transport children from birth until they reach the age of three. The products are intended for:
- visits to places where the use of wheelchairs is prohibited;
- facilitating home life;
- breastfeeding in public places;
- travel by public transport.
Types of slings and kangaroos
Types of baby carriers
With the help of a sling on rings, children are transferred from the first days of life until they reach the age of three. The design is a fabric ribbon with a width of 60-70 cm and a length of up to two meters.
The end of the fabric is threaded through the rings located at the other end, which allows you to adjust the working length of the carrier. The child can be laid in a horizontal position, put on the hip or placed on the back.
The design is a piece of square-shaped fabric with four parallel straps of equal length, which are tied under the booty or crossed on the back of the child.
In appearance, the device resembles a kangaroo backpack. May-sling is suitable for children from 0 to 3 years.
May-sling variety. The difference lies in the straps, which are fixed not with knots, but with the help of fastexes. The child is located exclusively in a horizontal position.
It is a piece of fabric up to six meters long, resembling a scarf in shape. Products made of thin and delicate fabric are intended for newborns, models made of dense materials are designed to carry children weighing from 6 to 9 kg.
Slings-scarves are made of several types:
- classic (length up to 5.5 m, worn on two shoulders);
- short rebozo (length up to 2.7 m, worn on one shoulder);
- medium length (length up to 3.7 m, worn on two shoulders).
It is a strip of fabric sewn in the form of a ring up to 1.6 m long and up to 0.7 m wide. It differs from other types of slings in that it has a tuck in the form of a pocket for the baby’s bottom.
This allows the child to sit deeper in the sling and fix the back with the help of the upper side. Worn on one shoulder, suitable for children under the age of 3 years.
It is a seat for the baby, which is attached to the parent’s belt. It consists of a wide belt with a Velcro fastener, encircling the lumbar region of the parent.
A special shelf is attached to the belt, on which the child sits. Allows you to carry children between the ages of six months and three years.
A device for transporting newborns and infants, which, with the help of reliable fasteners, rests on the shoulders and belt of the parent. The child is held by a special belt.
Designed for walking long distances. It has a rigid folding design, thanks to which the backpack is transformed into a high chair. Used after reaching the age of six months.
The second name is a sling backpack. In the manufacture, all the shortcomings of the kangaroo backpack have been corrected: the weight of the baby during transportation is evenly distributed on the shoulders and back of the parent, and the child’s legs are in the correct position.
Designed for children aged 4 months to 3 years.
A Japanese type of carrier bag, reminiscent of a May Sling in appearance. Unlike the May Sling, the Onbuhimo has rings in place of the lower strap. The straps behind the back of the baby are threaded through the rings and tied together.
One of the Korean types of sling. It is a wide apron, fixed under the armpits of the parent. The child sits on the back of the parent, after which it is covered with a sling.
The straps are crossed on the chest, then threaded under the baby’s hips and tied at the mother’s waist.
Kanga is used by the inhabitants of Africa, it is a piece of matter in the form of a handkerchief. The two upper corners are twisted over the breasts of the mother, and the two lower corners are twisted under the breasts.
Also, the product is tied up in the form of a cradle: the scarf is folded and tied over the shoulder like a sling-scarf.
Location on the body
- Behind (on the back). The most convenient option for carrying a child, since the load does not apply to individual parts of the body, but to the entire spine and torso of the parent. This arrangement is used in a hiking backpack.
- Front (on the stomach). Allows parent and child to be in constant contact with each other. So the baby will feel safe, and the parent will be able to control what is happening.
- In the front and in the back. A universal option that makes it possible to choose the desired position for transferring the child. It is typical for ring sling, may sling, fast sling, sling scarf, sling pocket, kangaroo backpack, ergonomic backpack.
- Facing the parent. The position allows the baby and the adult to see each other and communicate with each other, reduces the load on the back of the child.
Typical for ring sling, May sling, fast sling, sling scarf, sling pocket, hiking backpack.
- From a parent. In this position, an additional load on the spine of the baby is created. The advantage of orientation is that the baby has an overview of the surrounding space.
- Bidirectional. A universal option is acceptable in kangaroo backpacks, hipsters, ergonomic backpacks.
- Close to parent. The hands of the parent are freed from the continuous support of the child, the load on the spine is reduced.
Functions and features
- Height adjustment. Allows you to adjust the required height for a comfortable position of the child, depending on his height, you can also reduce or increase the internal volume of the carrying bag.
- Lying position. The function is necessary for newborns and infants whose spine is not yet strong.
- Mom’s back support. Devices, to which special restraining straps and plates are attached, allow you to evenly distribute the load on the back of the parent. This feature is typical for May-slings and kangaroo backpacks.
- Breast-feeding. Carrying bag, which is used not only for transporting the baby, but also for breastfeeding.
- Headrest. Supports the child’s head in a comfortable and safe position, protects from street precipitation.
- shoulder pillow. A special pillow made of soft and dense material is located on the strap in the place of the greatest load; it is used in slings.
- Back pocket. Pockets are sewn on to hiking backpacks and kangaroo backpacks, which are convenient for carrying containers with baby food, documentation, hygiene products and other necessary things.
- Cotton. Suitable for the hot season, it passes air well, is durable and environmentally friendly. The fabric is difficult to clean from various contaminants, it takes a long time to dry the product.
- Polyester. Suitable for cool weather, does not cause allergic reactions, easy to clean. The disadvantages include poor air circulation.
- Cotton + polyester. The material is durable, breathable, resistant to dirt and moisture, pleasant to the body.
- Jersey. The fabric belongs to the knitted type, it is used in two forms: natural and with the addition of synthetics. Has high elasticity. Slings are made from jersey.
- Coarse calico. The material is breathable and safe for health. Used to make slings.
- Reticulate. A suitable option for use in the hot season. Lets air through.
Carrying bags have additional equipment that can be purchased at the request of the buyer:
- Hood – weather protection.
- bib protects the parent’s clothing and backpack from contamination.
- Raincoatdesigned for kangaroo backpacks. It is installed regardless of the orientation of the location of the baby. Differs in compactness, easily is located in a female bag.
- Carrying case for kangaroo backpack. Made from breathable fabric that repels moisture and is windproof.
- Additional backrest on a belt or with two straps to hipsit. It allows you to evenly distribute the load on the body and free the hands of the parent from constant support. The back with two straps allows you to carry the device as a backpack.
- Additional belt to hipsit, which increases the girth of the main belt.
- Handbag for hipsitattached to the belt.
Advantages and disadvantages
- the position of the baby is easy to change from horizontal to vertical and vice versa;
- easy to use outdoors and at home;
- the child is transported from birth to the age of three;
- suitable for breastfeeding in crowded places.
Sling on a scarf
- stylish part of the wardrobe with a wide variety of colors;
- a large number of ways to wind the sling;
- suitable for hiking;
- worn on two shoulders, evenly distributes the load.
- does not require any knots and reinforcements, which simplifies and makes the use of the sling comfortable;
- compact, making it easy to fit in a woman’s bag;
- the product does not need constant adjustment of position.
- the load is evenly distributed on the shoulders and back;
- easy to use;
- customized for the individual child.
- the weight of the baby is evenly distributed on the hips and legs of the parent, due to which the back is relieved of the load;
- use in summer and winter seasons is allowed;
- It doesn’t take long to put on.
- freely adjustable for parent and child, regardless of the number and volume of clothing;
- the position of the baby changes from horizontal to vertical and vice versa;
- prevents the occurrence of back pain due to stable support of the lumbar region;
- the child is happy to sit in the backpack, as the view is open in front of him.
- comfortable for travel and hiking;
- It is made of strong and reliable materials, which increases the service life;
- the load is evenly distributed on the two shoulders of the parent.
Negatively affects posture, as the load falls on one shoulder. To maintain an even posture, change the position of the product regularly.
Sling on a scarf
- It takes time to learn how to wrap the sling correctly and securely.
- Inconvenience when regulating (rewinding) on the street.
- There is no adjustment for a specific person. In order for the child to be transported by both parents, two copies must be purchased.
- The distribution of the load on one shoulder and the back of the parent, which can adversely affect the state of posture.
- Some models cannot be adjusted to the characteristics of the child.
- Inconvenient when carrying a child in a horizontal position.
- The child needs constant support.
- Not suitable for long walks, as fatigue in the legs appears over time.
- Inconvenience when carrying a sleeping baby.
- Transportation of the baby only when he reaches four or five months, as the baby must confidently hold his head.
- Not suitable for use for more than two hours a day, as it puts a strain on the back and spine of the child.
- With a baby weighing over 6 kg, the straps of the product dig into the shoulders of the parent and create discomfort.
- Transportation is possible only in one position: behind facing mother.
- High price.
How to choose a sling and kangaroo
How to choose a slip on rings
- Rings. They must be metal and with a diameter of at least ten centimeters. This combination of material and dimensions allows the fabric to slide along the ring, allowing you to easily adjust the product and fix it firmly.
- Material. The fabric for the sling should not be elastic so as not to be stretched under the weight of the child and to fix the newborn well in the desired position.
Also, the fabric should not slip. The most suitable options: coarse calico, waffle fabric.
- Sides. For a better and more comfortable fixation of the newborn’s head, choose a sling with foam sides.
How to choose a sling scarf
- Material. For a sling scarf, the best fabric option is 100% cotton. The material stretches in the transverse and diagonal direction, which allows you to create a comfortable environment for the baby.
- scarf width. Depends on the elasticity of the fabric. The better the ability of the fabric to stretch, the smaller the width should be. The allowable width of a scarf made of inelastic fabrics is about 70 cm, and of elastic – 50-60 cm.
- Scarf length. If you have slings of various sizes, you should use the size chart so as not to buy a product that is too long and not to wind extra layers during operation.
How to choose a May Sling
- Strap width. The straps should be wide enough and padded with padding polyester.
- Material. The fabric should be strong enough and not stretchy.
How to choose hipsite
- Material. Cotton models are considered the safest for the health of the baby, suitable for use in the summer and at home. Polyester is suitable for the street, as it is easy to clean from dirt and it is quite dense.
- Belt. Should not stretch. Otherwise, the load will shift to the back.
- Foam pad. If the weight of the child exceeds 12 kg, then a foam pad must be installed on the hipster, which will prevent pressure under the weight of the load on the parent’s thigh.
- Filler. The best option is a springy filler, foamed polypropylene, rigid polyurethane foam.
- Seat tilt. A hipster with a reclining seat will prevent the baby from slipping and allow the baby to sit closer to the mother’s body.
How to choose a kangaroo backpack
- Child’s age. Choose a baby carrier that can be used from birth to a year old, some backpacks are designed to carry babies up to 15 kg.
- The position of the child. The baby in the kangaroo backpack should be located in the same position as in the hands of the parent. This should provide support for the neck and spine of the baby.
- Regulation. The backpack must necessarily adapt to the body of the child and the parent for comfortable carrying.
- Belts. Should be soft and wide, so that under the weight of the weight of the baby they are not pressed into the body of the parent.
- Support insert. Provides more comfortable use, as it supports the spine and lower back of the parent.
- Material. Fabrics must be environmentally friendly and not deteriorate when washed in a washing machine.
How to choose a hiking backpack for carrying children
- Adjustment. The presence of belts with regulators will allow you to adjust the backpack to the body of the parent for more comfortable transportation of the child for a long distance.
- Belts. Shoulder straps should be wide and made of dense and soft material so that under the weight of the body they are not pressed into the shoulders of the parent.
- Material. The backpack should be made of dense and durable fabric that is easy to wash and does not stretch.
Operation and care
- It is recommended to wash slings without the use of bleaching agents and conditioners. As a detergent, it is better to use liquid substances.
- Wash the sling separately from other things, as the fabric of the product is dyed with natural dyes.
Before cleaning the product, carefully read the care instructions on the product label.
- Slings-scarves are allowed to be washed only in expanded form.
- It is necessary to iron the products with an iron with a steamer at medium mode, while the sling must be wet.
- Linen, kapok and hemp slings are recommended to be washed at 40ºC and dried unfolded. A slightly damp cloth is steamed with an iron on medium mode.
- Silk, viscose and bamboo products are recommended to be hand washed at 30 ºС. Dry the product only in a straightened form, in a place protected from sunlight.
- Slings made of bamboo and viscose should not be left soaked for a long time. The maximum is 40 minutes.
- Woolen and cashmere products require delicate care. Slings can be washed at a temperature not exceeding 30 ºС. For cleaning products, it is better to use special products for wool and cashmere.
- It is recommended to wash the product with liquid substances using baby rinses.
- Remove the seat and foam pads before washing.
- The hipsite can be washed at 30°C.
- Do not use bleach.
- Do not dry clean.
- Hipseat cannot be ironed.
- Small and fresh dirt is recommended to be removed with a damp cloth.
- It is allowed to dry the product only in a natural way, without the use of dryers.
Caring for your baby carrier
- When you go for a walk, you need to take wet wipes with you to regularly clean the backpack with minor contamination.
- Carefully read the label attached to the backpack, which contains information about the permitted methods of cleaning and drying the product.
- If the backpack is allowed to be washed in automatic mode, then use liquid detergents and special baby rinses for this.
- Some models have removable parts that are most likely to get dirty. These parts are easy to remove and clean.
Precautions when using a baby carrier
- Carefully check how securely the child is secured in the baby carrier to avoid the baby falling out when the parent leans forward.
- It is forbidden to carry babies under the age of four months to avoid the development of hip dysplasia in the child.
A complication occurs when the child is not properly transported: the child’s legs in the backpack are folded together and are straight. The correct position of the legs: in a free state, in a half-bent position.
- When the baby is in a horizontal position, pay attention to the fact that the material does not press the baby too hard to avoid suffocation. It is recommended to move the child in a baby carrier in an upright position.
- Pay attention to straps and parts that can rub on baby’s delicate skin.
- The headrest should securely and firmly fix the baby’s head.
Precautions when using slings of all kinds
- Avoid tilting while wearing the sling with your baby. If you need to pick up something from the floor, it will be safer to sit down, rather than bend over.
- Never use a sling as an alternative to a car seat or infant carrier.
- Avoid hot food and drink while in the sling with your baby.
- Avoid high heels when wearing a sling. Choose a smooth and safe path for walking.
- Take your baby out of the sling at least once an hour and stretch his muscles.
The child in the device should be tightly pressed against the body of the mother.
- Before the age of two months, use only the horizontal position of the product while the child is tucking in the legs due to congenital tone.
- In a horizontal position, the child should lie flat. The head should be at the level of the parent’s chest, and the legs can hang down, bending at the knees.
- If the baby’s head is located vertically or semi-vertically, then it must be fixed by the edge of the product, and the legs must be placed in the sling itself.
Manufacturers of slings and kangaroos
- Baby Bjorn brand children’s goods are of high quality and a wide range, produced using Western technologies.
Products are developed with the participation of doctors and parents, due to which safety and ease of use are taken into account. Both classic kangaroo backpacks and new generation models are on sale.
- BABY style sells a large number of kangaroo backpacks made of various materials. The products of this company are of high quality.
- Chicco stores offer the latest models of baby carriers with additional accessories.
- Chudo Chado specializes in the manufacture of slings, kangaroo slings, kangaroo backpacks, for the development of which specialists from various fields are involved: perinatologists, neonatologists, psychologists and fitness trainers.
- The Tiny Love online store presents several types of carrying bags that can be obtained at a discount.
- The online store of the German manufacturer Concord presents kangaroo backpacks that can be purchased on credit.
- The German company Cybex offers various types of slings and kangaroo backpacks. The products are covered by a two-year warranty and service in the service centers of the company.
- The German company Manduca presents a wide range of baby carriers made from organic cotton and hemp. The company continuously conducts new developments and improves the quality of the product. The products are covered by a three-year warranty.
- Inglesina offers high quality products manufactured according to all established European and international standards. Products undergo laboratory safety testing.
- Under the Mums Era trademark, a wide variety of different slings and kangaroo backpacks are presented at affordable prices. The product collection is updated monthly. Products can be purchased wholesale and retail.
Advertising from sponsors: //