The purpose of the playpen is to ensure the safety of the baby at a time when parents cannot look after him. A thing is not purchased for a child: he is interested in learning about the world around him, and in a confined space he feels uncomfortable.
At first, children are capricious, get out or overturn parts of the arena, so you can not leave them inside for a long time.
The device and materials of playpens
The playpen is a fenced area, inside which there are no objects prohibited for the child. It is advisable to install transparent walls: the baby will not feel locked in, and parents will be able to monitor his behavior.
There are three types of materials from which the arena frame is made:
- metal – durable, expensive, but heavy;
- plastic – light, inexpensive, can emit harmful substances;
- wood is strong, heavy, but requires special care.
For the production of playpens, hypoallergenic materials are used that are safe for children of all ages. In the case of wooden models, a protective coating is required.
Environmental material, resistant to damage. It weighs more than plastic, so the child cannot turn the structure over. The wooden arena consists of sections with twigs, allowing the kid to get acquainted with the world around.
The distance between the bars should not be more than the head of the child, so that he does not get stuck. It is preferable to choose a hard base so that the baby learns to get up and walk, leaning on the railing.
Lighter than wood and metal, moves around the house even by weak women, turns over by active large children. It is supplied in the form of a “constructor” that allows you to divide the space into several zones: for playing, for learning, for relaxing, etc.
The most expensive material Durable, heavy, without additional registration it is not recommended to buy. It is better if the kit includes soft pads on the sides, protection for joints. The walls in some of the models are made of mesh.
Types and characteristics of playpens
Classification by purpose
- Arena-mesh. A common option is oilcloth or a floor fenced with a net. A light, fragile woman carries the playpen to another room without difficulty. The cost starts from one and a half thousand rubles.
There is a subgroup of this type: corner arenas, which save space and fit into small apartments.
- Playpen-bed. The corners are clearly fixed, resulting in a fenced space in the form of a rectangle or square. Space saving is achieved by using the playpen as a crib.
- Arena screen. Modular version, assembled from several walls, adjusted to the room. There is no fixed form, part of the room is fenced off.
- Inflatable arena. It is used in open areas, it takes up a lot of space in the apartment. The functionality includes the use of an inflatable arena with appropriate walls like a trampoline or a pool.
- Rectangular is considered classic, but in small rooms it is inconvenient.
- The polygonal version can be adjusted to the size of the free space in the room, protecting places dangerous for the baby and providing maximum space for movement.
- Round and oval arenas are impractical, but they look beautiful and are suitable for outdoor placement.
- The corner shape of the arena is a sector that is installed in the corner of the room. Fits into small apartments, covering a maximum of free space.
The size of the cells in the grid should be large so that the baby can put his fingers through and take them out without getting tangled. The distance between the twigs (in wooden arenas-screens) is no more than the head of the child you place inside.
The size is selected depending on the room in which the arena will be installed, and on the planned budget.
If you have to choose between size and quality, bet on the latter, because in a cramped arena, the child will simply have less room to maneuver, and in poor quality, there is every chance of getting injured.
- Bottom height adjustment. Most often found in playpens-cribs: during the day the structure is located at floor level, and in the evening it rises.
It is more convenient for parents to look after the child at night, there is no need to bend over much to get the baby.
- Baby changing table. A nice addition to playpens-cribs, stands next to each other, can be folded, makes swaddling easier.
- Skids are used to rock the baby in playpens. The removable element does not rock the crib to a dangerous amplitude. The child in such an arena will not roll over, even if it spins a lot.
- Side entry for older children. Fastens with a zipper on the outside so that the children do not get out of the arena without assistance.
- The toy pocket is located on the side, the accessibility of toys for the child is provided by the parents.
If you hang the pocket close to the edge, adult children will be able to get objects themselves.
- Mosquito net is purchased for outdoor arenas. If the windows in the house are open in the summer and there are no mosquito nets on them, it is worth buying this element to protect the baby from mosquito bites.
- Bag for transportation. It is included in the set in advanced configurations, otherwise it is purchased separately (standard options).
- For children who are used to falling asleep while their parents are rocking in their arms, vibration blocks are presented. They do not rock the crib, create a vibration sufficient to lull the baby. Requires mains power or periodic battery charging.
- The handles help children stand up with support and stay upright. An older child learns to walk along the support, clinging to these handles.
- An arc with toys will be entertainment for a baby who cannot sit. It is selected for a specific option, an example of filling is two or three bright toys without small details.
- The hood protects the baby from bright sunlight while outdoors. It is used to protect the arena from artificial lighting.
- Crib. It is divided into two levels: the lower one is used for games and recreation, the upper (removable) one is for sleeping. You can add a third tier – a changing table.
- Net. A strong fabric network is stretched around the perimeter. If the sides are pasted over with oilcloth or foam rubber for safety, the child cannot get hurt. For learning to stand up with a support, this option is not suitable, even if the net is stretched correctly.
- Screen. Not suitable for apartments with slippery or cold floors that are drafty. Not the best choice for children who are getting up and trying to walk. The exception is screens with fasteners in the doorway and on the floor.
- Inflatable. Need a spacious room or open space to use. Not suitable for families with active pets. The price depends only on the size of the product and does not exceed the market average for all types of arenas.
- The child is not constantly looked after, and at this time he is in a safe place.
- Divides the space of the baby into two zones: for games and for sleeping (crib).
- Helps the child to become independent, to play without the constant attention of adults.
The advantages of each individual type of arena:
- Net. Lots of space for games, safety and installation of additional accessories.
- Crib. Strength, reliability, saving space in the apartment, adding additional accessories.
- Screen. Mobility, ease of care, compactness and safety.
- Inflatable. Compactness and mobility, ease of care, use as an inflatable pool.
- The child is limited in movement and cannot independently learn the world around.
- Children, when they first get into the arena, are capricious. The adjustment period can take weeks.
- In some situations, the baby will still have to be monitored while he gets used to the new place.
Disadvantages tied to specific types of arenas:
- Net. Requires free space in the apartment, used only for games and short rest.
- Crib. The child does not develop a conditional division of space into a play and sleeping area, the bottom in the models is located at floor level, the soft bottom does not help learning to walk.
- Screen. There is no bottom, it is bulky in itself, additional accessories are not hung on the model.
- Inflatable. In terms of strength, it occupies the last place, it is pierced with a sharp object.
How to choose a playpen
When buying, focus on the following characteristics:
- the height of the sides;
Modern playpens are folded for transportation (from room to room or to another house). If the chosen option does not even double, it is worth reconsidering the choice and buying another one.
Do not buy playpens of bright colors. The eyes of the child react painfully to the flickering of bright colors, due to which the time of quiet sitting inside will decrease.
The standard height of the sides is at least sixty centimeters. This figure limits young children from trying to get out.
As a surface in close contact with the baby, the playpen is cleaned periodically (at least three times a week, once with a doctor-approved disinfectant).
The mesh is washed more often and more thoroughly, since the accumulation of dust in the cells is a common cause of childhood stomatitis and allergies.
Connections are closed with overlays with protection against children. Popular manufacturers do this themselves, but in cheap models, the caps are rechecked by the buyer.
During the adaptation period, the playpen is used as a toy box, it should not be folded. The baby gets used to the playpen, even when not sitting directly in it. If you leave the side door open, the child will eventually go inside.
Store playpens have a clear limit on the weight and height of the baby. These parameters are indicated on the price tags: be sure to look for mentions of them or ask the sellers.
- If you make a special stand or sketch out suitable objects (like cubes or beans), fine motor skills develop.
- By default, the skill of steady sitting on a hard surface develops.
- The kid learns to get up, rise to his feet without the help of his parents.
- If you pick up walls the height of the baby or put a net instead of a pair of walls, the baby will try to walk along the support.
The adaptation period will be easier if parents follow the rules:
- Getting used to the arena happens gradually. First, the child sits next to him, and his favorite bright toys are brought inside. The kid is interested in the contents of the new place and is transferred inside – such a scheme will avoid tantrums when first placed in the arena.
- In the first days of the child, one is not left. Parents sit nearby and watch the reaction: if the baby is frightened, behaves restlessly, they take him out of the arena and try later.
- The time spent by the child in the arena increases gradually. After two or three days, they begin to leave the room, for a minute, for two, etc. The time of absence increases if the baby does not show anxiety.
- Even when the baby gets used to being in the arena, they do not leave him for a long time. If he is bored, his parents pick him up and play.
The warranty period is indicated in the documents for the arena or packaging. If the terms are not specified, they are set automatically: two years from the date of transfer of the goods to the buyer.
Before buying, the documentation is studied separately: unscrupulous manufacturers indicate shortened terms in small print in the documentation.
Product return features:
- Outdoor playpen shops are included in the category of seasonal goods. In this case, the warranty period starts from the day when the specified season has come.
- Technically complex goods with a corresponding mark are returned according to a separate scheme.
- Oversized items require special shipping.
What do they do with a warranty return?
If, as a result of the purchase of a defective arena, losses are incurred (for treatment, transportation, etc.), they will be reimbursed – voluntarily or through the courts.
Credit goods are accepted as purchased for cash, reimbursing the amount paid to the bank, plus the costs associated with obtaining a loan.
To apply for a guarantee, they bring a warranty card, a buyer’s passport and a check. If there is no check, refer to the testimony of witnesses.
The cause of the failure lies in a manufacturing defect or improper operation. Fences, fasteners break, nets fall off.
- Repair or return under warranty (it is proved that the problem is manufacturing).
- Self repair. Mounts for nets, protection from children are bought and installed in their original place.
- Master repair.
The brand from South Korea specializes in car seats, strollers and playpens. Products from the range are durable and lightweight, do not slip on grass and linoleum, and are stable in all positions.
The catalog contains lightweight options that are convenient for transportation and use when traveling (a bag for transportation is included).
Each product with a minimum of four non-slip support points, lockable wheels only. Materials are suitable for outdoor use, cleaned without the use of special tools.
There is no official Russian site.
Bertoni in Russia is the official distributor of Bulgarian goods, takes wholesale goods for sale. Direct purchase is not possible: only through intermediaries in stores that collect brands.
Products in the catalog are diverse: strollers, car seats, accessories for feeding. European designers and doctors are involved in the creation of items, quality control begins with the selection of materials for manufacturing.
In Russia, products are available at average prices. Firms have been seen making replicas with the same logo at below market prices.
According to reviews, the products are practical and convenient for kids. The service life is extended: at least three years with a guarantee of no breakdowns.
Construction: plastic frame with metal inserts for reinforcement.
The mesh around is soft, but durable: it can withstand the weight of a baby up to a year and a half.
The catalog contains only rectangular folding playpens. Prices start from 5000 rubles for the option without additional accessories.
Handrails for older children have been added, the floor meets the requirements of orthopedists and is safe for the legs of a toddler who is just starting to walk. In the latest trim levels, developing mats are added. There is no arc for toys, but objects are tied to handrails.
The mesh withstands overload by two to three times, will not break if the baby twitches and throws toys at the walls. It is impossible to turn over the fixed arena without external influence.
There is no official Russian site.
The company started with baby strollers (received awards for quality in the 2000s). At the moment, the catalog includes snow scooters, car seats, feeding chairs, strollers and playpens.
An annual meeting of European technologists and doctors is held to discuss the concept of a product that is being prepared for release in the current year.
When agreeing, European quality standards are taken into account, they are not considered with Russian GOSTs. This does not make the playpens dangerous: the quality is only getting better. Each unit of goods is tested at manufacturing plants.
A company selling a wide range of children’s clothes. The online store in Russia is working in test mode, seasonal promotions are being held. There are groups in social networks, in addition to advertising, educational content is available.
The playpen warranty is limited to six months, detailed information on the provision of warranty service in services is available on the website.
Russian manufacturer with prices below the market average. The expanded assortment includes five hundred items of goods for children. Cons: a high percentage of negative reviews associated with the fragility of the product. There is no official site.
A German company operating according to European standards, prices are above the market average. A high-quality arena costs from ten thousand rubles.
The catalog includes standard configurations and extended versions with the possibility of supplementing with sections or accessories. Materials: wood and metal, child protection is installed on the metal parts.
There is no official Russian site.
A Russian manufacturer that began operations in the 2000s, during this time it produced playpens, changing tables, feeding chairs, etc.
Restrained shades appear in the products, designers pay special attention to colors. In addition to GOSTs, European quality and safety standards are taken into account.
The site contains informative articles with the addition of advertising, describing the advantages of the brand over the rest. The main quality check of each unit of goods takes place on the conveyor, the defect is sent for processing.
The emphasis is on the convenience of parents while using items for children.
The catalog has playpens-beds, classic assemblies and play areas for mobile kids.
Products for travel and outdoor games are highlighted separately: they are equipped with additional accessories that bring comfort to the baby and ease of use for parents.
The main activity is strollers – canes, classic, transformers and related products for baby care. Produces conventional playpens, without additional accessories, with a minimum of four support points and locking wheels.
Models are designed for children from three months. Detailed information is indicated in the product card.
A family business approaching its centenary. Positioned as a company that devotes time and resources to quality control. They treat marriage and breakdowns calmly: returns are processed without scandals, repair centers accept them at the specified time.
Warranty repairs are carried out on a general basis, after the presentation of the warranty card and confirmation of the purchase in the chain store (receipt or testimony). A clean product is accepted, with no traces of repairs or modifications. The guarantee is valid for six months.
Points of sale are indicated in a separate section of the site, online stores selling products are also described there.
Supplier with delivery and checkout by e-mail. It specializes in high-strength baby strollers, produces practical playpens for all occasions.
Qualified craftsmen with experience and knowledge of European quality standards are allowed to assemble. Each unit of goods is tested separately for compliance with the requirements.
A company with a wide range of products to accommodate children in the adult world. Durable home and travel highchairs, reliable car seats, walkers and playpens that limit movement in the range. Work according to European standards, deliveries from abroad.
Advertising from sponsors: //