Cornice – a design for attaching curtains to walls, windows or ceilings. This is a functional element and a decorative accent, which is selected taking into account the characteristics of the room.
Types and characteristics of cornices
Cornices differ depending on the appearance, body material, installation and fastening method. An additional division occurs according to the number of guides and the method of controlling the eaves.
Models with a rounded shape of the rod diameter. The usual view is a pipe for hanging curtains on hooks or rings.
- If additional pipes are provided in the kit, then tulle or lambrequins are hung on them. In this case, the main pipe often comes with a diameter of 30-40 mm, and additional pipes – 10 or 20 mm.
- Sometimes, instead of secondary pipes, a tourniquet or string is used that can support the weight of light fabric.
- For curtains with eyelets, fabric clamps are not required; a round rod and brackets with tips are enough here.
It is desirable that the grommet be wider than the pipe in diameter. In other cases, sets are selected with fasteners that can hold the fabric.
Plastic aluminum profile, supplemented with rails for curtain fasteners.
- The flexibility of the material is suitable for creating curved structures.
- Suitable for curtains with lambrequins, in this case they are attached to the facade using Velcro.
- Installation is simple, special fasteners and mortgages are not needed.
This type of cornice is most often installed in conjunction with plasterboard ceilings or complex window niches. It goes well with spotlights, does not require maintenance.
This type of cornice is equipped with a decorative strip that covers fittings, rails and hooks.
- The material and color of the plank is chosen taking into account the interior of the room: bronze, marble, colored or imitating the structure of wood.
- Planks are available in hollow or solid form.
- In such a cornice fits LED or halogen lighting.
- When changing the interior design, the purchase of a new cornice is not required – the decorative strip is replaced with a matching one in color.
In such models, instead of a rod, a thin cable plays the role of a supporting structure.
- Cornices are available in one, two or three tiers.
- The load-bearing capacity of this type is reduced, they are only suitable for lightweight fabrics.
- The positive features of the string system are the low weight of the structure, the possibility of mounting to a wall or ceiling.
- Versatile, fit into the interior without changing its decorative qualities.
Tire or rail
A type of PVC or aluminum cornice with a special groove along which rollers with fixation hooks move.
- This type is suitable for hanging short curtains.
- The model has edge plugs to prevent the reinforcement from falling out of the tire cavity.
The cornice in terms of functional characteristics resembles a profile one. It is characterized by the same inconspicuous installation behind decorative elements, frames or in niches. Like the profile, the rail type is unpretentious in maintenance and easy to install.
Multi-row models often combine several profile designs – most often there are round, rail and string modifications.
In the manufacture of wood with a dense texture of coniferous, hardwood and exotic species. They perform two functions: decorative and practical.
- More often available in a single row version, and two- or three-row models that support a combination of different types of curtain materials are rare.
- The control may be mechanical or electronic.
- Before installation, no preparatory or repair work is required.
- Most wooden models only support wall mounting.
- Durability and environmental friendliness.
- Easy to care for – wipe with a soft cloth or polish.
Wooden models often come with decorative tips.
More often in this design, profile or tire models are produced.
- Lightweight, do not create a load on the surface.
- All kinds of shades, imitation of natural materials and decor in a budget design.
- Light-colored cornices fade more often, with time the surface turns yellow.
- Plastic of dark shades is not afraid of fading, the service life is longer than that of light variations.
PVC cornices are often equipped with planks with holes that allow you to move the hooks. This element is put on after installing the fasteners.
This includes metal and steel products, forged structures and their imitation.
- Material strength.
- Most often there are multi-row options.
- Ability to support the weight of heavy fabrics – tapestry textiles or printed curtains will not cause the curtain rod to sag.
Decorative combinations are also available – a metal bar is complemented by stone and wood trim. This subspecies is available for Provence or Baroque interiors.
According to the method of fastening
The method of installation on horizontal or vertical surfaces is determined by the type: wall or ceiling. Ceiling models in most cases support the option of mounting on walls.
Mounted directly on the walls above the windows.
- More often these are heavy structures that need to be strengthened by the surface – a solid foundation or embedded parts.
- The weight of the structure and curtains rests on 2-3 brackets, they also determine the possibility of moving the cornice away from the walls. Due to the small number of stops, the rod material is preferably strong.
- A height between the top edge of the window and the ceiling of less than 5 cm is not suitable for wall-mounting.
- The gap between the front of the eaves and the wall will be at least 10 cm.
It is usually string or rail type.
- Mounted at a specified distance from windows.
- Independence from the length of the brackets.
- Used for protection from light and for decorative zoning of the room.
- Dozens of fastener points give the design bending strength, so the products are suitable for heavy curtains.
- The marking during installation comes from the center of the frame, and not along the length of the window.
By number of guides
- Single row – a single pipe, string or profile for hanging curtains. They are more often used for kitchens or in cases where curtains are only a decorative item.
- double row – complemented by a thin tube, cord or string. Used for curtains and sheer curtains.
- multi-row – variations from pipes are less common. All types of curtains with curtains and lambrequins are supported.
By way of management
We are talking about structures containing mechanisms for opening and closing curtains. On their basis, there is a division into manual or electric control. Models without special devices are classified as manual, but this is an incorrect gradation – it is more correct to call them options without mechanics.
Or mechanical control of opening curtains with a cord, stick or pointer.
- The cord pushes the fabric apart with a single pulling movement, often down or at an angle.
- A stick or pointer changes the position of the curtains when turning left or right.
When choosing, attention is paid to the matching of the material and colors of the cord / handle and curtains.
Electric drive control
Electric curtain rods are most often equipped with remote controls. The type is suitable for frequent adjustment of curtains.
- The wall mechanism is installed separately from the eaves in a suitable place.
- The built-in design is mounted directly on the profile or in the roller.
Pressing the button activates the mechanics, the cable moves the carriage with the curtain in a given direction.
The remote control allows you to open one or more curtains without leaving your seat.
The advantages of curtain rods depend on the budget and installation possibilities, they are mostly individual. But there are also common features that can be compared.
According to the method of fastening
- combine functionality and decorative properties, able to become an independent design element;
- easy access to fittings, easy replacement and repair;
- do not require mounting frames;
- an extensive choice of materials from which the profile or rod is created.
- strong durable construction without deflection withstands heavy curtains;
- independence and compatibility with any design;
- suitable for bathrooms, mounted above the bathtub or shower tray.
Designs with mechanical and electrical control have a similar set of advantages found in most models:
- silent closing, smooth and uniform;
- the ability to connect to “smart home” systems;
- models with adjustable speed are adjusted to the preferences and characteristics of the material of the curtains.
Electric models with a remote control provide comfort – you can move the curtains apart without getting out of bed.
Operation can complicate the chosen method of attachment. Material and other design features create fewer problems.
- Demanding on the strength of the base.
- They eat up the space of the room due to the fact that they are not mounted close to the windows.
- Prone to bending.
- Bracket fasteners often fail over time, 2-3 points of support are unable to withstand loads for a long time – this situation is fraught with household injuries.
- The design requires decorative overlays or embedding in pre-created frames.
- Installation on concrete bases is laborious, it is not always possible to maintain the level and plane – hence the distortions of the curtains and the incorrect operation of the mechanisms.
How to choose a cornice
Parameters that you should pay attention to when choosing cornices:
curtain weight. Any type of cornice is suitable for the lungs, and massive curtains with heavy lambrequins can only withstand models with a strong bar that is resistant to kinks and deflections.
Length and number of brackets. Actual for wall cornices. It depends on the length whether the curtains will lie on the windowsill or the heating radiator. The size of the brackets is selected as follows:
- Measure the distance from the wall to the edges of the protruding elements. If the surface has a slope, the measurement should be performed taking into account the level of the extreme point of the blockage.
- Add to the resulting size an indent for the free movement of curtains and folds. The parameter depends on the type of fabric and folds, on average it is 8 cm.
The increased number of brackets helps to strengthen the bar; it is important if it is not known which curtains will be used in the future.
Hiding corners. In models whose length does not reach from corner to corner, the side lapels will hide the gaps between the fabric and the window.
Above the window. The wall cornice must completely cover the opening. Additionally, a margin of 20–30 cm is taken on both sides, depending on the model of the device. The margin of length will hide the gaps, you won’t have to pull the curtain in centimeters to properly close the window.
Rod diameter. Selected for a specific type of curtains and fabric weight. Paradoxically, in the case of curtain rods, it is customary to choose curtains in advance. The length of the rod should also be taken into account in advance, and when choosing a product of a non-standard size, it is worth clarifying the presence of connecting elements to lengthen the structure.
- for wide windows with heavy curtains, a diameter of at least 30 mm is preferred;
- for light tulle curtains, a diameter of 12–16 mm is sufficient.
- standard windows and curtains – pipe diameter 20–25 mm.
The parameter must be combined with the size of the rod to avoid deflection. The longer it is, the larger the recommended diameter.
Surface strength. We are talking about a wall or ceiling on which it is planned to install a cornice. When mounting on brick or concrete bases, the parameter does not play a role. But if the installation is on drywall, you need to place embedded elements in advance to strengthen the structure.
Lightweight variations are mounted on the gypsum board using butterfly dowels. This type of fastener, when twisted, expands behind the drywall surface, creating a small reinforcing platform. For heavy curtains or cornices, fastening to supporting structures is necessary.
When choosing, the size of the room is also taken into account, since the location of the cornice will affect the visual perception of the dimensions of the room.
Which is better
Most often, the choice is based on the visual and decorative effects that the cornice, in combination with the curtains, should give to the room.
- If the cornice is fixed from wall to wall, the room will visually expand.
- When attached to the ceiling, its height seems greater than in reality.
- To visually expand the window opening, long cornices are selected that go with a large margin on the walls.
- To reduce the window, a cornice is selected with a minimum margin of length, almost equal to the width of the opening.
If the length of the structure exceeds 2 meters, you should take care of its reliability by adding brackets or additional fasteners.
Rings and grommets with plastic inserts muffle the characteristic clang when opening curtains.
The technique is unpretentious, does not require specialized care. Needs only routine cleaning and maintenance:
- When caring for the rod, do not use abrasive products, including metal sponges and special mixtures.
- Can be washed with warm water and non-aggressive degreasers, wipe dry with a soft cloth.
- It is necessary to monitor the condition of the brackets – check whether the fasteners are loose, whether the elements are securely fixed. This will protect you from personal injury.
- After long breaks, it is necessary to test the operation of systems with an automatic drive, it is enough to check the first two closings.
- It is important to check metal structural elements for corrosion and take timely measures to eliminate it.
- Yellowed or cracked plastic parts should be replaced before they break completely.
To obtain warranty service, you will need a coupon with a completed serial number and product model. Be sure to have the seal of the seller and indicate the date of sale without corrections. They will also ask for documents confirming the purchase – a consignment note, a cash receipt.
Most manufacturers do not consider the following cases under warranty:
- incorrect transportation and operation;
- changes made to the design by the buyer, self-repair;
- careless storage or improper installation;
- mechanical damage, traces of exposure to abrasives and chemicals;
- corrections to the text or loss of the warranty card;
- for models with an electric drive, warranty service is not provided in case of breakdowns due to power surges in the network.
Service does not cover consumables that come with the product. The average warranty period is 2-3 years, usually counted from the date of purchase, but there may be exceptions.
Faults and repairs
Breakdowns of eaves differ depending on the type of control and the mechanism of the product.
Such cornices are conventionally divided into fixed and movable. The nature of breakdowns depends on the mobility of the structure.
Runners or hooks wear out, mechanical damage to other elements is considered rare. For repair, it is enough to disconnect the gliders and replace them with new ones; parts can be purchased in specialized stores. In case of wear of a rare type of runners and the impossibility of spot replacement, the entire row is updated.
Models with cords or harnesses, more often controlled. The main problem is chafing or breaking the tourniquet. It is found even in models with chains. It is solved by replacing it with a new harness and correctly installing it in the lock, which can prevent rapid wear.
In the event of jamming, winding or twisting of curtains, it is more often necessary to disassemble the system and install parts in the places from which they have shifted.
The cornice does not respond to pressing the remote control
There are several reasons:
- A dead battery is treated by replacing it with a new one. Batteries for cornices are usually designed for a long service life, so such a banal malfunction confuses the owners because of the unexpectedness of what happened.
- If the remote control breaks down, it is unlikely that it will be possible to repair the device on your own, since usually we are talking about mechanical damage or loose contacts. It requires disassembly, soldering or replacement of failed elements or the purchase of a new remote control.
- The signal receiver is out of order, which is located on the eaves itself (built-in type) or nearby (freestanding). In the first case, diagnostics is difficult due to the placement of the structure and the engine inside the shaft. Usually ends with the complete dismantling of the product and sending it to the service.
- Remote models are easier to diagnose, but repairs will take time – up to two weeks. The problem occurs when the drive power does not match the weight of the curtains. Try turning the drive on again after 3-4 minutes. If this does not help, service repair is indispensable.
Most jams occur in the guides. At the same time, the drive continues its normal operation, which leads to a stronger clamping, twisting and breakage of the mechanism.
Repair requires a complete disassembly of the de-energized cornice structure, straightening the winding and removing the stuck fabric – this is done on its own or with the involvement of specialists.
To prevent a malfunction, it is necessary to control the operation of the mechanism if it has not been used for a long time. In the presence of light sticking and clips, the course of the curtain is adjusted by hand, sometimes the fabric needs to be pulled down.
Manufacturers of manual and electric models, as well as cornices for bathrooms.
Specializing in bathroom products. The company’s cornices are designed for use in bathrooms. Corner and L-shaped stainless steel round type models are available, flexible variations are available. Bathroom accessories are guaranteed for 2 years. Website: www.aquanet.ru
International group of companies from France. Specializes in roller shutter systems with electric drive. Models with remote control and adjustable speed are available. Product warranty 5 years, counting from the date of manufacture. Website: www.somfy.ru
Manufacturer from Canada. Specializes in designer interior accessories. Cornices of round type, wooden and metal models with tips are presented. Warranty terms not stated. Website: www.umbra.com
Advertising from sponsors: //